What are eprints?
Eprints are electronic versions of academic papers. For ePrints@Bangalore University repository you may submit:
• An article from a journal, magazine
• A chapter or section from a book
• A book or conference volume
• A paper, poster, speech,lecture or presentation given at a conference, workshop or other event
• A monograph- this includes working papers, discussion papers, project or technical reports, manuals or other documentation.
You may submit:
Preprints ? a pre-refereed, unpublished paper which may be submitted for publication
Postprints ? the final peer-reviewed published version of a paper
Who can add eprints to the repository?
Faculty members and Research Scholars of University of Mysore may submit eprints to the online repository ePrints@Bangalore University.
Step-by-step instructions to deposit your publications:
You can deposit your publication by one of two methods
Mode 1. Deposit through E-Mail:
- You need to send the electronic publication along with minimal bibliographic information to us.
- We will deposit the publication on your behalf after verifying the eligibility.
- As a minimum we need the following details:
• Document type (Preprint | Conference paper | Conference poster | Journal paper | Technical report | Book chapter | Book review | Presentation | Patent, etc)
• Department affiliation of Bangalore University author(s)/Co-authors of other institution
• Title of the publication
• Citation (journal/ conference/ book title and other details)
• Journal publisher (if you know)
• Date of issue/ publication
• Technical report number (if any)
- Use text format file (notepad - *.txt) to enter the information and send it by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are able to supply electronic copies of your publications in PDF or Word format please send these as attachments.
- Please note that we can only use the publisher PDF version if this is permitted by the publisher.
- If you do not have an electronic copy of the full text it may be possible for us to download it via our subscription to the journal (again depending on whether the publisher permits this).
- If you have only sent bibliographic details and we cannot source a copy of the electronic version we will contact you to ask if you are able to supply this.
- If you already make these details available on a personal web site you may send details of the URL rather than including them in a e-mail.
- Personal web site: Some publishers will permit authors to make copies of their publications available on a personal web site, but not in an institutional repository. If this is the case we can link to copies held on your personal web site. The details of your publication will be made publicly available in the same way as if it was held in our repository.
- Bibliographic details only: Where it is not possible for the full text to be made available in the repository or on a personal web site we will only make the bibliographic details available. If possible we will provide a link to an alternative location, e.g. on a publisher?s site. In this case only subscribers to the journal in question will be able to follow the link and access the full text. This means that people searching the repository will be able to find out about your publication, although they will not all be able to access it.
Mode 2. Deposit yourself (self-archiving) using the online submission system of ePrints@Bangalore University
Follow the three steps explained below for online submission.
Step 1 : Determine if the publication is eligible for deposit
- At least one author must be from Bangalore University
- Check if the document you wish to archive falls under one of the types mentioned above.
If not, you may contact staff of ePrints@Bangalore University
Conformance to Publisher's Copyright Policy:
The ePrints@Bangalore University repository has been developed to house the research publications of Bangalore University researchers. The aim of such eprints repositories is to make research freely available. One of the major concerns associated with making material available in such repositories is publisher's copyright. Major copyright concern is with journal articles. Journal publishers generally require authors to sign some sort of copyright transfer agreement or license to publish agreement prior to the publication of articles. Each publisher has their own agreement, and so the rights that you retain (for example the right to self archive/deposit an article in an online repository like ePrints@Bangalore University) will vary. You need to find out if the publisher permits such depositing. We provide the following guidelines to help you with this.
1. Check if you have a copy of the agreement you signed. This may indicate whether or not you are permitted to make your publication available in a repository. However, some agreements do not explicitly cover this issue. Also, if the agreement appears to forbid deposit in a repository bear in mind that some publishers do change their agreement and apply this retrospectively.
2. Contact the publisher directly and ask them
3. Some publishers do not require authors to sign a copyright assignment form. Instead they ask authors to sign a non-exclusive license to publish and allow authors to retain copyright, including self-archiving.
Interpreting copyright agreements
It may not be immediately obvious from a copyright agreement or from information on a publisher's web site whether authors are permitted to deposit their article in repositories or not. These are some points to look out for.
• Pre-prints: Many publishers do permit authors to make the pre-prints version of the article available in repositories. By this they are referring to the pre-refereed version.
• Post-refereed version (Post-prints): Some publishers will allow the post-refereed, final author version, to be included in institutional repositories, but not in the form of the formatted PDF file that appears in the journal.
• Publisher PDFs: Some publishers prefer the final PDF version to be used, as this is a clear indication that an article in a repository is the bona fide version.
• Personal or departmental web sites: Some publishers will permit authors to make copies of their publications available on a personal web site..
Step 2:Convert publication to acceptable electronic format
- Preferred format is Adobe PDF format. It is not usually acceptable to deposit the publisher-produced PDF, unless the publisher gives permission to do so. Therefore, you may need to convert a copy of your document to PDF
- Converting from MS Word to PDF:
If you have access to the full Acrobat product (not just Acrobat Reader) then use Distiller or PDFMaker to "print" from your Word document (or any other application) and produce a PDF file. If your PC does not have Adobe Distiller or PDFMaker, you may download free PDF conversion software.
Step 3: Deposit the publication
- Register (first time) or login-in to User Area before you begin to deposit publications in ePrints@Bangalore University. Once you have completed the registration process, you can access your ePrints@Bangalore University User Area using username and password obtained through the registration process and deposit publications
From the ePrints@Bangalore University home page, http://eprints.bub.ac.in, click on the Create Account link. This will take you to the registration page.
• Enter your name (Title, Given Name, Family Name)
• Enter your valid email address
• Enter your preferred username
• Enter your preferred password
• Click on the Register button
- The ePrints@Bangalore University system will display a confirming message, and send an email to your email account requesting confirmation of your registration. When you receive the email, follow the embedded URL to activate your account. The URL will take you to a ePrints@Bangalore University screen, where you will be asked to provide additional details about yourself (your Division, Department, office location etc). This information will not be made public. Checking if the publication is already available in ePrints@Bangalore University.
- Before proceeding to deposit your publication to ePrints@Bangalore University, first check if it already exists. This can be easily done using the search and browse features of ePrints@Bangalore University. If the publication already exists, you should not submit the publication again, but check the details of your publication for their correctness and inform the ePrints@Bangalore University if correction or addition is required
- Deposit your publication
- From the ePrints@Bangalore University home page, (http://eprints.bub.ac.in) click on the Login link. The ePrints@Bangalore University system will prompt you to login. Enter your username and password.
- Click on the "New Item" button.
- When depositing a publication, you must provide some information about it and this will be used to construct a record for the publication. The information in the record will be made available to the eprint search engines.
- Entering the information:
• For some fields, you can select the appropriate option from a pick-box.
• For others, you will need to type in or cut and paste the text into the box provided.
• Some fields may not be relevant, in which case you should leave them blank.
• Some fields are mandatory and these are marked with a red asterisk.
• The web form is spread across a number of pages. Click on the Next button to navigate
to the next page.
The information requested includes:
- Select the most appropriate type for your deposit. (e.g. preprint, journal article, conference paper, Technical report, etc.)
- Core Bibliographic Information
- Status Indicate the status of the document (published, in press etc)
- Refereed Indicate whether or not the document (this particular version of it) has been through a formal peer review process.
- (mandatory) Fill in the full names of all the authors. Follow carefully the instructions given in the submission form while entering author names.
- Enter department name
- (mandatory) Insert the full title of the publication.
- (mandatory) Select your subject to describe your publication.
- For multiple authors, select all relevant Subjects. You may need to hold down the
CTL key to select the second and third options.
- Year and Month Enter the publication year (4 digits, mandatory) and Month (optional)
- You are required to provide an abstract for each ePrint. You may be able to cut and paste the abstract from your manuscript. If not, create a brief abstract in the box provided.
- Commentary on If your deposit is a commentary on a publication that is not in this repository, please enter the full reference for the item here.
- Enter the full title of the publication (e.g. Journal name). In the following fields, enter the volume, Issue number and page numbers (where applicable).
- Enter the name of the editors(s) if applicable (e.g. edited books and conference proceedings)
- For books and book chapters, enter the name of the publisher and also place of publication (eg Jacaranda Press, Brisbane).
- If your publication can already be accessed via a web page, please provide the full URL (e.g. a conference web page, or personal web page). If the publisher requires that you provide a link to the journal's web page from the ePrints@Bangalore University record as a condition of self-archiving the post-print version, you can use this area to insert the URL for the publisher's web page.
- Keywords Enter here any keywords that are likely to be used by searchers looking for
publications on this topic. Separate keywords or phrases with a semi colon.
- You can use this field for any other additional information that you think is relevant or may be useful. For example, if you are depositing a preprint (pre-refereed) version of a publication that has been published (because the publisher will not agree to your self-archiving of the postprint version), you can use this field to provide publication details (journal name, volume, issue, pages etc).
- You may cut and paste the references from your publication here but this is optional.
- Any comments to the administrator (this information will not be displayed to the public). Suggestions (with justification) for additional subject fields.
After entering all the required information, press the >Next button.
• If any mandatory information is missing, you will be asked to provide this information
• If all required information is present, you will be taken to the Document Storage Formats page where you can add (upload) your document.
Upload your document to the ePrints@Bangalore University server by clicking on the Upload button. For PDF files, select File Upload and click on the Upload button. Browse to find your file. Then click on Upload. For HTML files, select Capture from URL. Provide the URL where this file can be found. This ensures that all hypertext links in the document will work. Use the Security Level field to indicate how widely it should be made available. Select Anyone unless there are reasons to restrict access. Click >Next .
Select your subject to describe your publication from the list. For multiple authors, select all relevant Subjects. Click on the >Next button. Review your submission details
The Deposit Verification screen displays the brief record for your eprints. Check the record carefully for errors. Pay particular attention to the reference that the system will create for your document from the information your have entered. The reference will be displayed above the PDF link to your document. Check that the reference contains all the appropriate elements (e.g. author, year, title, journal name or book title etc). If you wish to make any alterations use the >Previous button at the bottom of the screen. Do not use the browser Back button on the toolbar at the top of the screen as this will exit you from your ePrints@Bangalore University user area.
When you are satisfied that the record is accurate and complete, read the deposit agreement which appears at the end of the page. Clicking on the >Deposit EPrints Now button, indicates your agreement to these terms and completes the deposit process. Your submission will be checked by the ePrints@Bangalore University administrator and, after a few days, it will appear in the public repository.